Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Kayleigh Anne Freeman

Some of you may notice that there are a few Blogs that I follow, I check in on them everyday, they are about the journeys of other families, whether happy or sad. I read them, and I consider myself to be so extremely lucky to have a happy and healthy family. I read them and I feel truly blessed that my life is not filled with such tragedy. At the same time, I commend these families on their strength, as they are faced with challenges that I myself am not sure that I could handle with such strength and courage, these are truly remarkable families.

Yesterday I checked in on a family, The Freeman's, checking their blog is a daily routine for me, often times, multiple times a day. Their daughter Kayleigh was born premature, June 23rd, weighing only 1 lb. Here is their blog, if you want to read this amazing story, www.kayleighannefreeman.blogspot.com/. When I checked in yesterday, it sounded as though Kayleigh was not doing well, today her condition is continuing to worsen. At this point, they are just waiting for the inevitable. My heart is broken for them, they have watch their daughter fight and fight, through surgeries, multiple episodes of hypertension, amongst other complications, but they remained so strong, and so did Kayleigh. They have done fund raisers, radio events, sold pink "Kayleigh" bracelets, and their story was featured on their local news station. They have done all that they can to someday bring Kayleigh home, and they are now learning that it may not be possible to do so.

I remember the first time I read this families story, I was instantly hooked. This little tiny baby, was fighting and really making it. As I continued to read this story, the more I became hooked. I came home one day, and told Steve all about them, I showed him their page, I read him some posts, and I went ahead and ordered us some of the "Kayleigh Ann Freeman" bracelets. The families plan was to have everyone that bought a bracelet send in a picture of yourselves wearing them, along with a letter to Kayleigh, with hopes that she would someday read letters from people who supported her and prayed for her everyday. I never had a chance to get that picture or letter to them. I am happy to be a Kayleigh supporter, I just wish I had taken the time to take that picture and send that letter.

Needless to say, my heart is heavy today. It's stories like these that make you want to hug your family, and cherish each and every day you have with them. Sometimes we take our lives for granted, and having the opportunity to learn The Freeman's story, has made me realize just how fortunate I really am.

Love to All,
Kristine

No comments: